No longer a Channel One - it's all nothing from now on

Well here's something we didn't expect to be saying. Just over a month after it was announced that Virgin One would becoming Channel One after Sky bought it and other channels from Virgin Media, and just a few weeks after the station rebrand went ahead and... err... well... Sky decide to close it down completely. Apparently it's just too similar to Sky 3 to remain. (In other words, they're both full of cheap crap.)

Channel One logo

Well hey, who would have thought that? Surely Sky must have known what they were buying when they spent the cash? Why even bother with the expense of rebranding (even if it wasn't exactly an expensive looking rebrand) if they were going to shut it down?

It's not the only channel to die. After 25 years on air Bravo is also set for the axe thanks to it being too similar to Sky One.

Programmes from both channels will be "redeployed" to other channels where appropriate and Channel One's Freeview slot will be handed over to Challenge TV so Freeview viewers will surely be whooping delight in the arrival of ancient quiz shows. Hey, I know I will be.

Points from the Post

I don't think anyone is going to shed a tear about Bravo and "Channel One" disappearing. As long Sky continue to show Dog the Bounty Hunter somewhere, I'm not really too bothered!

Craig Williams

Posted 2:19 PM, 16 September 2010

As a Star Trek addict, and with such a pitiful offering of programmes on the rest of our Free View Channels - including mainstream TV, I hope I'm going to get my daily fix of Trek somewhere!
Sky have obviously bought channels from Virgin to close them down and protect their own. I wonder what the Monopolies Commission has to say about it?

Jenny

Posted 1:26 PM, 1 February 2011

I agree with Jenny, especially regarding the Star Trek. At this rate I might have to do something drastic like get a job just to get through the day!

Rich

Posted 2:16 PM, 1 February 2011

I've been watching Star Trek Voyager and TNG for months now. Then today (after the finale of Voyager yesterday) I find that I'm stranded in the middle of TNG season 4 with no more episodes from Channel One. It was one of the only free channels worth watching and now it's gone, just like that?! Thanks very much Sky.

Kevin Stanley

Posted 3:58 PM, 1 February 2011

I agree with a lot of peoples complaints to do with "Sky" buying "Channel one" and other channels... my view on the subject is utter frustration, why bother buying out a channel for what ever reason then, not to the delight of the viewers, go permanently take it off the air... Sky head boggings? get a life!! what a complete waist of tax and licence payers money, so what if other channels are showing the same programs, who cares?! why am I paying a monthly service on "Virgin media" or those on "sky" if half the channels get axed anyway? don't make scene! Half the channels on my digi box what I pay for are on free-view and you wonder why some people have there box chipped. please "sky" get your act together have a re-think and bring back "channel one" thank you.

Spencer Warner

Posted 1:35 AM, 22 February 2011

"what a complete waist of tax and licence payers money"

What a complete nonsense of a comment.

There is no waist involved. (Shurely he meant to write "waste"?)

There is no tax payer's money involved.

There is no licence payer's money involved.

When a corporation buys a TV station it can shut it down if it wishes, and will most certainly do so if it is losing money.

You seem to be under the delusion that B$kyB operates for the benefit of viewers, when its only prime directive is to make a profit for its stockholders.

Rudolf Maxwell

Posted 12:51 AM, 23 February 2011

If you are going to be pedantic, at least get it right yourself.

"(Shurely he meant to write "waste"?)"

Surely you meant surely?

Or was that your own lame attempt at irony?

Spencer Warner

Posted 3:54 PM, 23 February 2011

"Shurely" is a reference to Private Eye. And it isn't pedantic to correct glaring errors that are central to your argument - if you don't understand then look up the meaning of pedantry. Did you really believe taxpayer's and license payer's money went into Sky channels?

You should be embarrassed.

Hatman

Posted 9:41 PM, 4 March 2011

Fear Not Trekers - CBS Action I think carries all the treks now and I think its on FreeSat.

As for Virgin/Channel 1, looking at the filler programs, it just seems to have been renamed Sky Atlantic.

Chad H

Posted 10:56 PM, 6 March 2011

Murdoch takes over BskyB :-

We are shurely doomed ....

Jenny

Posted 12:37 AM, 7 March 2011

Mr Maxwell and Hatman, do you both belong to the sad minority that get some sort of enjoyment or feeling of superiority out of 'people bashing' on forums?
I think anyone with any intelligence would get the gist of what the guy was trying to say and overlook any inaccuracies.

Stating the obvious is the easiest form of insult.

On the contrary, you should be embarrassed!

Shelley Davies

Posted 9:38 AM, 7 March 2011

This correspondence is now closed.

Transdiffusion

Posted 11:23 AM, 7 March 2011

Sorry. Comments are closed for this article.

MediaBlog

MediaBlog

Feeds

This Article

Email Newsletter

Get all our updates in your inbox - every time there's news to tell. Just enter your email address and select "Subscribe". Or if you no longer want to receive our mailings, enter your email and select "Unsubscribe"

Small Print

Opinions expressed in these posts are those of the author and not necessarily those of the Transdiffusion Broadcasting System in general.

These posts and their multimedia are copyright. Some rights are reserved under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 licence.

The Index

Retropia

Transdiffusion's repository of the ephemera of life: postcards, photographs, railwayana, stamps and leaflets from the past

Visit now ⇒

Transdiffusion Navigation

April 2014

Transdiffusion Broadcasting System

This web page lives at: http://www.transdiffusion.org/blog/2010/09/no_longer_a_channel_one_-_its_all_nothing_from_now